Return to FAQs

The church I pastor is very small, and I receive no compensation for services. May I deduct my out-of-pocket expenses related to serving the church as charitable contributions?

Yes. These expenses are deductible on Schedule A as noncash charitable contributions.

Dan Busby is a certified public accountant, president of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA), and the author of the Zondervan Clergy Tax & Financial Guide.