Return to FAQs

While the housing allowance designation for a minister who owns his or her own home provides the maximum housing allowance benefit, almost every minister qualifies for some housing allowance. A minister who rents a home qualifies for a housing allowance to cover the rent, utilities, and furnishings, for example. However, there is not a "non-taxable account" similar to the housing allowance designation.